Tuesday 24 February 2015

Embracing Authentic Learning Experiences For The 21st Century

Lombardi(2007) gave out 10 fundamental design elements for any effective learning experiences in any subject to take place among learners. From her full article i discovered that my teaching has been tailored to the traditional ways of teaching and learning; By the virtue of my school set up which is result oriented more over in a very short time, as a teacher I am forced by circumstances to 'spoon-feed' the learner and I become a moving encyclopedia. Even though my lessons are made interactive and students are given cites for more academic content, they shun it since they are not used to the self discovery method very well.

However, with this exposure to modern knowledge; in a few lessons I have conducted at my school by the beginning of the year 2015, I have managed to practice the following procedure below:

  • Find out about ideas or content to be taught from the Internet and or from text books.
  • Improve my content delivery skills by making it learner-centered and sometimes outside the classroom since I teach Geography.
  • Make my learners learn collaboratively by grouping them up and assign them different tasks per a group which they later present or express out clearly in order to master the content easily and also discover more on their own.
  • I re-teach or re-explain what was not well presented by the students.
  • As each group comes out to present, they communicate and challenge each other.
  • With the above steps, we as a class(me the teacher and my students) manage to make analysis of a whole given topic in a small period of time of about two lessons.


1 comment:

  1. It seems the course has many Geographers. In mine I also use real life experiences like the floods in Kasese and the Landslides in Bududa as discussion points the following lesson.

    ReplyDelete