Saturday 30 July 2016

6.9.4 Final Specific Personal Observations About Learning Through Project Based Lessons


What I have learned from lesson 6 I have learned about a project based lesson and I have found out that the most vital aspect in it is the  empowerment of the learner to do all his/her discovery work almost alone. In this respect, the teacher only unfolds the the lesson idea which is in line with the national curriculum and then guides the learners through giving them feedback. In the process of empowering the learners, it becomes clear that critical thinking is applied. On the other side, a constructionist approach to teaching becomes very easy to apply.
I have also learned that project based learning links the learners to the community in order to solve a given problem at hand. In this case, learners become vital to their community since they learn not to theoretically study and live every thing in books without applying it in the daily life. In fact even after school, the same skills obtained by the learner at school can easily be transfered to the field while at work. Project based lessons in my observation can completely wipe out the job seeking problem and instead puts in place job creators. However such a lesson requires a lot of creativity on the side of the teacher in order to wet-up the learners' appetite to research more about an unfolded topic under study by the teacher.

I have learned that the Internet is very vital in lessons which are project based. Even though the scenario to be researched about is a real problem out there in the community, learners can explore the Internet to learn more about cases like that one unfolded by the teacher. The Internet becomes a virtual laboratory where almost every thing can be found.

How what I have learned in this course might influence what I do in the classroom:
Since I have learned that a project based lesson eases my work and that it engages my learners, I will mostly use project based lessons. However from my observation, it requires a lot of time for some topics to be taught since the there are more than one step in the implementation of a project based lesson. Specifically on the side of science subjects which require a lot of observation, it goes to the whole day or more than one day to implement the lesson or to tickle the learners brain to accurately think and come up with sound solutions to a given problem at hand in the community.

The Plans that I have for implementing a project-based approach for a section of work in my curriculum.
I have a plan of lobbying my administrators at my school to fully install in our school Internet connection so that I design my lesson plans in line with the Project approach. I am planing to more often take my learners to the field so that all that is in the curriculum of Uganda is translated into what affects the community and then make my learners solve that very problem in my community.
I have plans of making my fellow teachers at my school adapt the project based approach to teaching. Although some aspects of such teaching are observed at our school in some subject and by some other teachers other than me, it is some times by accident and not by design. If they adapt to the same, I guess I will not find big resistance in its implementation.
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment